Rice-Noodle Salad with Chicken and Herbs – Pair a cool vietnamese-style salad with sparkling wine or fizzy ginger beer for a great taste.
- 1/2 pound dried rice noodles, about 1/4 inch wide.
- 3/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice.
- Large garlic cloves, minced – 2 nos.
- Sugar – 2 tbsp.
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon asian fish sauce.
- 1/2 pound cabbage, finely shredded (4 cups).
- 3 large scallions, thinly sliced.
- Cooked chicken, cut into long strips – 1/2 pound.
- Chopped cilantro – 1/2 cup.
- Chopped mint – 1/4 cup.
- Sriracha, for serving.
- In a bowl, cover the noodles with cold water and let stand until pliable, 25 minutes. Drain. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook, stirring, until al dente, 1 minute. Drain the noodles in a colander and return them to the pan. Fill the saucepan with cold water and swish the noodles around. Drain and swish the noodles 2 more times. Drain the noodles in the colander, lifting and tossing, until dry.
- In a small bowl, stir the grapefruit juice with the garlic, sugar and fish sauce until the sugar is dissolved.
- In a large bowl, toss the rice noodles with the shredded cabbage and scallions. Add the dressing and toss well. Add the chicken, cilantro and mint and toss. Serve right away, passing Sriracha sauce at the table.
Source: Food & Wine
Recipe by: Marcia Kiesel