- 12 ounces soba noodles
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest, plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook, stirring, until tender, 4 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the oil with the soy sauce, tamari and agave syrup. Add the noodles and toss.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the shallots and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden brown and crisp, 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shallots to paper towels. Add the garlic to the skillet and cook over low heat until golden and crisp, 2 minutes. Transfer the garlic to the paper towels.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a bowl, combine the lime zest and juice with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Stir in the shrimp and season with salt. Grill the shrimp over high heat, turning once, until glazed and just white throughout, 3 minutes.
- Arrange the noodles on a large platter. Sprinkle with the scallions, cilantro, crushed red pepper and the fried shallots and garlic. Arrange the shrimp on top and serve with lime wedges alongside.
Source: Food & Wine
Recipe by: Su-Mei Yu