Soba Noodles with Dashi, Poached Egg and Scallions is a protein-rich lunch and also for breakfast. This dish is good for people who are looking to gain weight and also hit gym for workout.
- 1-ounce piece of kombu – 1 no.
- Water – 4 cups.
- Dashi powder – 2 tablespoons.
- Dried soba noodles – 4 ounces
- Toasted sesame oil – 1 tablespoon
- Baby bok choy, halved lengthwise – 2 heads
- Large eggs – 2 nos.
- Thinly sliced scallions – 2 tablespoons.
- Soy sauce – 2 teaspoons
- Fresh lime juice – 1 teaspoon.
- Crushed red pepper – 1/4 teaspoon.
Read More: Crispy Tofu with Noodles
- In a medium saucepan, cover the kombu with the water and simmer gently until the kombu rises to the surface, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the dashi powder and let steep for 20 minutes. Strain the broth through a fine mesh strainer.
- Return the broth to the saucepan and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Add the soba noodles and the sesame oil and cook for 3 minutes. Add the bok choy and submerge them in the broth with a spoon. Crack one of the eggs at a time into a small bowl and gently tip it into the warm broth. Poach the eggs until the whites are just set and the yolk are still runny, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to bowls. Stir the scallions, soy sauce, lime juice and crushed red pepper into the broth. Transfer the soba noodles and bok choy to the bowls, pour the broth on top and serve immediately.
Source: Food & Wine
Recipe by: Douglas Keane