Crispy Tofu with Noodles – Deep-fry tofu in tempura batter and garnish the finished dish with lily buds or even easier stir-fry tofu with panko
- Dried udon noodles – 7 ounces.
- Canola oil – 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon.
- Panko (Japanese bread crumbs) – 1 cup.
- Firm tofu, cut into 1-inch squares – 6 ounces.
- Egg yolk – 1 no.
- Mixed mushrooms, such as oyster, hen-of-the-woods and stemmed shiitake, thickly sliced – 3/4 pound.
- Minced fresh ginger – 1 tablespoon.
- Garlic clove, minced – 1 no.
- Baby bok choy, cut into 3/4-inch pieces – 3/4 pound.
- Oyster sauce – 2 tablespoons.
- Hoisin sauce – 1 1/2 tablespoons.
Read More: Red Curry Peanut Noodles
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the udon and cook until tender, 5 minutes; drain. Toss with 1 teaspoon of the canola oil.
- Meanwhile, put the panko in a large, resealable plastic bag and crush into fine crumbs. In a shallow bowl, gently toss the tofu with the egg yolk. Transfer the tofu to the bag and coat with the panko.
- Heat the remaining 1/2 cup of oil in a wok until just smoking. Add the tofu and stir-fry over high heat until crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Pour off all but 1/4 cup of the oil and return the wok to high heat.
- Add mushrooms and stir-fry until lightly browned for about 3 minutes.
- Put together ginger, garlic and bok choy and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the udon and oyster and hoisin sauces and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add tofu and toss.
- Transfer to a bowl and ready to serve.
Source: Food & Wine
Recipe by: Pino Maffeo